Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Against being anti-lebron, supports jokes about Lebron

"But it seems a rather odd paradigm. I mean, when guys like James or Wade, or a sizeable portion of the NBA for that matter, were adolescents leaping over tall buildings in the blighted streets of despair, we didn't really care, did we? We were too busy with our own lives. But once they make out of the 'hood, it's like they owe us something. Neither Akron nor Cleveland gave LeBron James his talent. God provided that. Akron and Cleveland just got a front row seat." - Alan smith (The post game)

http://www.thepostgame.com/commentary/201106/hypocrisy-lebron-hatred

I'm not pro-Lebron by any means, I'm indifferent to him as a player. He doesn't play center, and he isn't a Ron Artest/ Shane Battier/ Bruce Bowen level defender. Regular readers and followers know that I'm highly annoyed by the level of hate that Lebron recieved for leaving Cleveland and going to Miami in the way he did. I've always been pro-decision for the following reasons.

1) He clearly wanted to win. Not get the most money possible and scrape team owners for everything they had, he wanted to win. Sure having Dwayne Wade is an easier route, but how else do you beat teams like the Celtics big 3, by waiting for them to get too old.
2) He gave Cleveland a great amount of effort for the entirety of his tenure there and unlike the Eddy Curry types in the world, he played continuoutsly even when the chips were down.
3) He didn't force his way out like Melo. He played out his contract, did his best to succceed and made the decision that was best for him.
4) Who cares if he left Cleveland high and dry. He clearly didn't like management there, why should he be loyal to them. Sure they were the team that drafted him, but in 2003 every team would have drafted him in a heart beat. He's not even from Cleveland. Proximity doesn't breed loyalty. If I went to Brooklyn Law School and transferred to Stanford people wouldn't expect me to be loyal because I'm from Queens.
5) It's your fault for comparing him to Jordan. He doesn't have any Jordan in his DNA. He, like Dirk, and Nate Robinson to an extent is his own prototype, there hasn't been a player like him before. This was known coming into the league he's a 6'8, hyperathletic, drive to the basket player, built like a Mack truck. Yes he wore the number 23, but so did Ron Artest, Marcus Camby. Shelden Williams and Byron Mullens still wear it.

Now everything he did wasn't exactly gold to say the least. While I believe that Lebron had a right to make "The Decision" during primetime and during the awful period for non-baseball sports fans like myself, I found it to pretty much be a waste of time. During the summer law program, many people were in the lobby of the dorm transfixed in front of the television waiting for him to say what team he was going to. He could have made it a 30 minute production though. Lebron could have told Cleveland: hey, it was a tough decision and you guys are great fans, but I've got to do what's best for me, and Dan Gilbert sucks as a boss and as a human being. I've got friends in Miami and I'm taking my talents there.

My gripe with Lebron, he needs a post game and/or a consistent midrange jumpshot. You're built like a tight end. Just try it. Players who don't get one or the other become forgotten after they turn 30.

No comments: