Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Selfish post (happy birthday to me)

22 years ago today, the Yankees took a day off, so that I could be born without any distractions. 22 years later I finally watched my first full game in Yankee Stadium. The stars aligned in all the right ways. My mom was able to get tickets. My brother was able to come with me.  It is Old timers day. They were playing against the Colorado Rockies aka my future hometown team.

So I met up with my brother and we watched the Old timers day game play out. Tino Martinez hit a beautiful homer to right field. Nothing else important other than seeing Wells, Cone and my other Yankee heroes.

The game was rocky (excuse the pun). Colorado got ahead early. Nunez, Jeters replacement was having all types of issues at the plate and in the field. Luckily Nova held his ground, the bullpen kept the lead from growin and 3 home runs by Swisher and Posada which my brother called and one by the Texecutioner in the 8th that he hit right after I said " well I'm not that worried, he does lead the league in home runs right".

Best parts of the game. Huge helping of Chicken Tenders and fries. Clutch. And of course, the moment I waited forever for. Metallica's "Enter Sandman" blaring over the loudspeaker. Mariano Rivera comes out like the 30th guy in the Royal Rumble. The stadium is electric. 3 quick outs. Game over.

And of course people wishing me happy birthday at all times of the day.  Gotta love it.   

No comments: