Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sports Games

I tend to try not to write too much about sports except during the NBA Playoffs and during the NFL season. Mostly because my opinions don't matter. I couldn't tell you the name of a player in the Final Four (or the Frozen Four for that matter). Nor do I care about who the players are on the non-playoff teams in the NBA. I can't watch non-playoff baseball at all (except Yankee-Red Sox and Yankee/Mets games). So the only thing to talk about is gaming.

2k10 has owned my xbox over the last few months. Mostly because I haven't bought any new games recently, but moreso because I'm addicted to the My player mode. I like my RPG's to be subtle. This is why I can't get into a game like Blue Dragon, but I love games with RPG elements like Borderlands and NBA 2k10. I'd strongly consider getting any game that does stats as well as 2k10. There's something satisfying in real life about seeing a team like the Lakers finally come together and prove they were worth the hype. Meanwhile NBA 2k10 was more like last years Houston Rockets team. On the surface it seems like its a world beater of a game, but it's fragile where it matters.

2k10, almost 6 months after the game was released should be completely patched up and ready to go. (i.e. like playoff bound playoff teams) The game has a great set of features. The game feels like basketball. It's not too arcade like in its features. Generally the game gets the characters right. Some things feel awkward ( Yao Ming is a bit too dominant in the paint, and Garnett's video game presence is better than his real life version) but overall the players play as you'd expect.

The My player feature is great as you progress from training camp, to the draft, to the D-league, to benchwarming, then to starting in the NBA. On that end it works fine. The other (much-advertised) purpose of the my player option is.

No comments: