Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

The Hall of Fame

The third most important Hall of Fame announced its newest members. I'm only 21, so my knowledge of many of the members is quite limited. I have no idea who most of them are. Chris Mullin was a St. John's grad, but that it all I know about him. I don't really remember him as a player. Arvydas Sabonis is a player who I spoke about earlier this week as the best European center. (All due respect to Vlade Divac of course). The thing is, that there are no hall of famers yet who I can really say great things about. Most of the people who will be inducted into the hall will be people who I know mostly from reading about them. Rodman is a player who I only remember as a Chicago Bull. I "know" he was a Piston and won Championships there, but I don't remember them. Maybe thats a good thing, because I can look at these players objectively. However, sometimes you just have to be there. The true sports fans know that while numbers are important there are some things that just have to be seen.



Dennis Rodman in on my all time team. He is the best rebounder I have ever seen. Period. I can't judge what he was like before 1996 (when I was 7, mind you) but my memories of Rodman involve him jumping and diving and running everywhere to get rebounds. The numbers back up my memories as he not only led the league in rebounds, but he dominated the people he played against in that department. I've seen some hustlers (Kevin Love stands out as an obvious example) but Dennis Rodman had "in the gym range" for rebounds, something that I haven't seen from other players at the time or from anybody since.

No comments: