Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Random Musings (NFL, Law School, Anniversary, Race, Apologies)

Today's my 5 year anniversary with my girlfriend. Rather than spending it doing anniversary like things, I'm 1,800 miles away. In a library. Studying Contract law.

Justin Verlander was voted MVP after receiving a unanimous cy young victory. I'm not a fan of giving pitchers the MVP, because they aren't everyday players. On the other hand, he was historically dominant and there really wasn't another player in the NL

Eight touchdowns, zero interceptions, and his best receiver has been hobbling or out. This is why Cowboys fans hate Tony Romo. He has streaks like this, and if he went and had 2 td and 3 picks against Miami, no one would be surprised.

Just finished my final memorandum for law school last Friday. I'm so thankful that this part of my law school career is over. Sadly, there's more law school left.

Some teams are definitely good. Some teams are definitely bad. Are the Ravens a good team? Are the Seahawks a bad team? Are the bills bad? Is Miami good? Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes. Sometimes describing a team as bad is a rookie mistake. Every team is flawed. Sometimes, a team plays a team that exposes their flaws, sometimes they don’t.

Speaking of which, how are we supposed to know anything about the Bucs. The last 6 games were against the 49ers, Saints, Bears, Saints, Texans, and Packers. Every one of those teams is leading their division. Are the Bucs good? The only way to find out is the rest of the week.

On the other hand, Tim "Don't call me till the 4th quarter begins" Tebow is ridiculously effective in the 4th qtr.  Ridiculous.  BTW, from watching the game yesterday, I found the proper comparison for Tim Tebow. Decent arm, winner in college, rushes often, not that fast, inaccurate, somehow gets wins in the pros despite the fact that no one thinks he's a good qb. Tim Tebow is Vince Young. (If Vince young had heart).

BTW, if Tebow were as good as people say he is, he wouldn't need to come back in every game he appears in.

Another thing of note.  Rushing for tons of yards used to be perceived as a "black quarterback" thing. Now? To be fair, the top two quarterbacks in rushing yards are Vick and Cam Newton.  After that Tim Tebow and Aaron Rodgers.  After Josh Freeman, there are no other black qbs in the top 10.

I always wonder if lack of people in a specific race in an area is because of racism or coincidence. For example, name 5 white running backs or cornerbacks in the NFL, then  name 5 black hockey players. The latter I attribute to coincidence. If you're black and athletic, you probably play basketball or football. Probably not outright racism. I wonder if it’s the same for running backs and corners. Are other sports and positions taking away future running backs and cornerbacks? Not my area  of expertise, but still interesting. Same for law schools btw, is the lack of black law students because of racism or coincidence.

Again, I apologize to the good people of Colorado for jinxing their hockey team and their college football and basketball teams.

It's often difficult to pay attention in law school.   Then I think about the debt, and I figure that I may as well succeed since they won't reduce the amount I owe because I didn't get an A. Back to work.

**By the way, I need a name for this type of post, often I have ideas that aren't worth writing 3 paragraphs or more. Is random musings okay?**

No comments: