Pages

Friday, July 5, 2013

Where "Writing Cogently About Sports" Happens

 

Mike Lupica, Filip Bondy, Bill Gallo, Mighty Quinn

When it comes down to it, when I first started to really care about sports, these were the people whose eyes that I viewed sports through. I would pick up the NY Daily News and rush to the back so I could read Lupica and Bondy's columns. I'd check for Gallo's sports cartoons. I'd glance at Quinn's betting lines and short non-sequiturs. When I was too young to follow every sporting event on my own, I'd read the Daily News in the morning afterward and figure out what happened. My favorite column was Lupica's Shooting from the Lip. In the weekly column he'd write a page and a half about some major article and then complete the page with a short remarks about different sports events from the week. Before I was able to listen to ESPN's podcasts, or check out the blogs of my favorite teams that was my way of finding out what happened and getting some commentary on the topic.

Now, I write about sports. I try to do it every week but I'm a law student first and law school and the other events of my early 20's come first. This season I've written 13 posts about the NBA. My idea when this season started was to talk about the future schedule. A lot of my friends have some interest in basketball, but they don't know a ton about the impending stories. The friends that I have that are sports addicts like I am are often too busy to check what games are going to be good before they happen. What I wanted to do was provide an place for showing what games in the coming week would be worth watching and explain, in some way or another, why they would be worth paying attention to.


A fellow law student came to me and said that I "write cogently about sports". In a lot of ways, that response is all I could ask for. I get about a dozen hits a week, so the blog isn't exactly ESPN, but I've been writing on this blog for almost 5 years now, and a dozen hits per article is more than I could ask for. More importantly, people have come to me to discuss the things that I've written about. It's meant a lot to me and I'm incredibly grateful for everything. I've found my voice. I don't see myself as providing the same level or quality of service that Lupica once gave me, but hopefully, people who come across my blog get something out of it. Thanks to all of the people who help me with my posts, help me find weaknesses in my arguments before they enter the internet, and to the person who read my blog back when no one else did. Thanks for reading.

No comments: