Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Privacy and Self censorship

I put out a lot of information online. My name, my interests, my pictures, my dislikes, my opinions, and the list goes on. I've made a choice to make my blog generally PG. Not PG as in, I wont talk about sex violence and drugs, but PG as in I make a more concerted effort not to curse and to be a good guy. I don't negatively air people out on the blog, because its my most censored piece of writing. I put a lot of thought into my posts and generally believe that anything I say here should be held against me whether it be my thoughts on affirmative action, or my prediction that the Browns would have a good season.  Its not private at all and you can access it however you want.

On the other side of things, we have my twitter account. My twitter account is pretty much the same as the off the cuff things I'd say in "real life". I might drop an expletive if the time calls for it (Cowboys games). I will complain about small things (Cowboys games). It's not overly rowdy by any means and I don't go out of my way to be a sailor, but on the other hand its nice to have a forum where I can be a bit more free. That forum has always been semi public and if you ask in my only request is that you accept all responsibility for what you see. If you are easily offended, don't follow me. I feel that since you have to go through the effort to follow me, and can easily unfollow me, then there should be no problem with the things I say, especially if they aren't directed towards you. Recently, someone made a huge deal, in person, because I tweeted a joke concerning a menage a trois. (Note: I'm not resposting it here because, well that would violate the 1st paragraph) I immediately blocked them. On the other hand I realized that despite trying to make my tweets public with the caveat, I realize that it may not be the best way to handle my public web presence. I've done enough online over the last 8 years that there is a lot to google about me. As of today, my twitter feed is now private. I'm still seeking advice about the best way to handle my public internet identity.

No comments: