Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

2L... you can call me Cool J



It seems like only yesterday that I went to the 7th Avenue stop for the first time on my way to college. It was 5 years ago. When I entered college, I went there a bit sour about the choices I had made that led me to John Jay College of Criminal Justice, and with the feeling that I should have gone elsewhere. But the 4 years of schooling at John Jay and especially the 2 years spent with the Ronald H. Brown program strengthened me and made me who I am today.

In junior year, my professor called me and asked me if law school was important enough that I would be willing to go to Nebraska for it. I replied yes, but I never thought that I would ever need to make that decision, and I thought that I would never leave New York. Now, years later, I'm in year two of law school in Colorado, a school that I chose, not because it was the only school available or because it was the easiest decision (like John Jay), but because it was where I wanted to go.

1L year was a struggle. Living in my apartment without a bed for the first month or furniture for almost a year was hard. Trying to salvage a rocky relationship from 2 thousand miles away and having it end from 2 thousand miles away was worse. Now when I enter CU, I enter knowing that the fact that I'm back means that I made it. I've found great support in the classmates that I've competed with, danced with, complained with, and took turns needing a shoulder to lean on and being a shoulder to cry on. It's because of them that I made and because of them that I can't wait for the second year to begin.


"So here I go it's my shot. Feet fail me not, this may be the only opportunity that I got" -Eminem (Lose Yourself)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: