Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

3 second violation

Cliffnotes: Mila Kunis agrees to go on a date after he asked her out via Youtube. Texas Rangers fan dies trying to catch a ball for his son. Guy who caught Derek Jeter's ball gave it back.

Mila Kunis
Mila Kunis might be my favorite person for this one. Apparently, a marine asked her out to go to a ball via a youtube video. Kunis accepted. On one hand, this has gotta be the luckiest marine in the world. He’s parlayed his military service into a date with a celebrity. On the other hand, expect lots of youtube videos. Is Sanaa Lathan single? Kerry Washington? Rosa Acosta?

Texas Rangers fan

I’m pretty numb to stories about tragedy. Not out of cold heatedness but more out of being exposed to it early and often during my formative years, and seeing lots of it in court. However, this story really touched me. A baseball fan in Texas died trying to get a ball for his son. Every kids dream is to get a baseball at a game. It’s one of the coolest things that can happen. Even at 22, I had my eye on every single foul ball, hoping I could catch one, and I’m sure as I get older, that feeling won’t change. This man was trying to get one for his 6 year old son who was there with him and overextended and fell over the rail leading to his death. This story really crushed me because of the way it affected the people around it.

Derek Jeter catches number 3,000

In other fan news, the person who caught Derek Jeter’s 3000th hit decided to return it to Derek Jeter, with no expectation of a reward even though he got a signed ball, a couple of bats and a bunch of other trinkets. I call them trinkets because the value of that ball would have easily surpassed $100,000. I'm a huge Derek Jeter fan, but I would probably have paid my way through law school if I caught that ball.

No comments: