Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Why I (sometimes) like rap music.

"I hate to think that the dope game is my callin'
Cause it got us singing lullabies to our fallen" - Malice (Comedy Central)

One of my favorite aspects of music is when it is reflective. There is no sitation that is pure bravado or purely great. Anything that has benefits has some drawbacks. One of the reasons I like the Clipse and Jay-z is that they both acknowledge that the fast life has its own issues. However, their music isn't always down and depressiong and in the same verse, they may acknowledge both sides of the coin, often in subtle, slick ways.

In one of Jay-Z's song's he raps that often rappers make up the stories that they say and to be cautious of that. Immediately afterwards he says...

"Then actually, believe half of what you see
None of what you hear even if its spat by me
And with that said, I will kill n***** dead
Cut n***** short, give you wheels for legs
Im a K-I- double -L-E-R "

Even the title of the song "Ignorant S***" is meant to be ironic. The song is a criticism of critics who describe his music as being all cursw words and generally ignorant. In fact, the hook is actually just strings of curse words put together, which apparently is how he feels certain critics hear his music as being anyway, even when it's not.

What annoys me, is when rappers are too down on their lives or view their situations purely from a positive perspective. It shows no depth of understanding.

No comments: