Pages

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Day 1: Breckenridge–9,000 feet up

 

"Dreamed of you this morning
Then came the dawn, and
I thought you were here with me
If you could only see
How much I love you
That's all, that's all baby
" - Marvin Gaye (Soon I'll be loving you) (as sampled in Jay-Z's American Dreaming)

So until yesterday my travels in Colorado only took me from nights in Denver to nights in Boulder. Occasional trips to Niwot and Westminster also happened, but I was never out of the metro area. So last weekend, I got invited to spend Thanksgiving in Breckenridge, CO. Not a bad way to spend the holiday, and I probably needed to get away. So here I am in Breck.

First and foremost, there are no words for how beautiful the drive out here is. It's absolutely gorgeous. The mountains are beautiful. On the way up here, I learned about runaway truck ramps. Apparently, on the side of the roads (Colorado has a lot of uphill and downhill driving, for obvious reasons), there are runaway truck ramps designed to stop trucks if their brakes stop working. This has now moved ahead of death by mountain lion as the most terrifying thing that can happen in Colorado that doesn’t happen in NYC.

As far as what I did when I got out here, most of it was hanging out in and around the apts and preparing for Thanksgiving. Also, a night filled with arcade machines (Rampage, who knew?), great live music (Whiskey Richards, just formed a month ago), an acoustic version of “Got Your Money by ODB, dancing on tables and 40 fireball shots (apparently cinnamon is involved). 

I’ll keep the updates coming this week.

No comments: