Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

NBA: Where Laptop Access Happens

Conversation from 1L year...
Classmate: Are you okay?
Me: Yeah, I'm fine.
Classmate: Do you need a hug?
Me: *pauses* Yeah
*hug*
Classmate: If you need anything, let me know
Me: Thanks *walks off*
Since I've come to Colorado, I've appreciated the kindness that people have shown me for no reason. People have helped me carry my suitcases to my new place. They've helped to find me an apartment sight unseen. They helped in getting me furniture for that apartment. They've given me a place to stay when that apartment flooded.

The above conversation happened in Spring of 1L year. What she didn't know was that the night before I broke up with my girlfriend of 5 years. I probably looked like I hadn't slept all night (I probably looked that way because I hadn't slept all night). But without knowing what was wrong, or intruding, she still reached out. It's the sort of thing that has just... happened over the last few years. People have been overwhelmingly kind to me.

Last week, an anonymous donor bought me a laptop. That last sentence doesn't make sense to me even as I'm typing it. For the last 2 months, since the flood, I've gone without a laptop. On the Saturday afterwards, I starting typing and it died on me. A couple of people have seen  That, along with the half foot of water in my apartment, really delayed my blogging and note taking in class.  Right now, I'm using that laptop right now to catch up on notes from class, research for a paper I'm working and clearly, my NBA posts. I figure the best way to say thank you is to use this open forum. Thank you.


Leaders of the Week 11/11 - 11/17
Points: Melo (45)
Rebounds: Dwight (24)
Assist: Ty Lawson (17)
Blocks: Anthony Davis / Roy Hibbert (8)
Steals: Dwayne Wade (8)

Nationally Televised Games This Week
Tuesday
Atlanta at Miami NBA TV 5PM
The Atlanta Hawks haven't lost a step with the departure of Josh Smith in free agency last summer. Last year's free agency period brought them Paul Millsap, a player with less star power but more consistency. Millsap is shooting a phenomenal 53%. Paul Millsap also has an amazing contract at 2 years/ 19 million (Also known as the "After 7 years in Utah, I get to spend my free time in Atlanta" discount). Also, Lou Williams (Former 6th man of the year candidate) and Gustavo Ayon (Former shot-blocker extraordinaire for the Hornets) have also returned for the team, bolstering their bench.

Wednesday
Indiana at New York 5PM ESPN
Years ago, the Pacers and Knicks had one of the best rivalries that basketball had to offer. Now, the Knicks are barely a playoff team and the Pacers are the best team in the league record-wise

Houston at Dallas 7:30PM ESPN
Houston's treatment of Omer Asik has been painful to watch. Last year, Asik averaged a double double for the team and served as a defensive anchor. He was 5th overall in rebounds per game. Since then, the Rockets acquired Dwight Howard and Asik has become an afterthought. Because of Howard's star status the fact that neither can play power forward effectively, Asik has been the major loser in the competition.

Thursday
LA Clippers at Oklahoma City TNT 6PM
The last game between these two teams led to a long drawn out discussion of the use of the N-word in a tweet. $25,000 later, Barnes and Ibaka will have the opportunity to meet again. Ibaka has been blocking shots left and right.

Chicago at Denver TNT 8:30PM
I'll be watching this game live with a few of my University of Colorado classmates. The Bulls looked sluggish when the season started but they looked like the team we expected them to be in an absolute beating of the otherwise dominant Indiana Pacers. My favorite top to bottom starting 5 in the NBA meets a sloppily constructed Nuggets team. The Javale McGee experiment has been largely a failure. Faried might be traded by time I get to the Pepsi Center. Gallo is still hurt. (Which it seems that he's been ever since he was traded to the Nuggets, depsite the large percentage of games played). Coach Shaw looks frustrated every game.

Friday
San Antonio at Memphis ESPN 6PM
The Spurs have been their usual dominant selves. 

Golden State at LA Lakers ESPN 8:30PM
Another nationally televised game, another appearance by the terrible Lakers. Meanwhile, the best team in the golden state of California continues to dominate. The Warriors depend on a lot of players with checkered injury histories (Curry, Lee, Bogut).

Saturday
Dallas at Denver NBATV 7PM
They play, against each other, on a Saturday. No thoughts whatsoever. 

Sunday
Phoenix at Orlando NBA TV 4PM
At one point this seemed to be a match-up between two truly terrible squads. However, if you squint and turn your head just to the left, you'll see that the Phoenix Suns have a competent lineup, and players like Gerald Green have shown themselves to be pretty good. The team is still bad, but they aren't going to be the horror show that they were projected to be. The Magic also have interesting pieces but not a full set. Right now, while Tobias "The Animorph"  Harris, stays out with an injury the Magic are forced to use Jason "Should be riding the bench" Maxiell.

No comments: