Pages

Friday, July 11, 2014

7/11 - Bar Exam Prep - Or maybe some thoughts about basketball

A couple of weeks ago, I had a long conversation with one of my best friends in the law school, Quentin. I considered going to Las Vegas for a sports conference and to watch some Summer League games. I wanted to go, but I'm taking the bar exam in a couple of weeks (July 29th). Quentin, on the other hand, said that I should go, for a bunch of reasons, but mostly because it's a great opportunity for someone who likes basketball and a fun way to spend a Friday. I should have bought the tickets. 

Basketball is endlessly fascinating. It's a sport where, above all else, one player can affect the entire league. A baseball player can only do so much to help the cause. The same is true for football (especially if you're not a quarterback) and hockey. But when the best player in the league (with whatever respect is due to Durant, more on that later) switches teams, it's a big deal and it ought to be a big deal. The Cavaliers are automatically a playoff team and borderline contender after being one of the worst teams in the league. 

I would love to be in Vegas discussing what's going to happen with other like-minded people. The best thing for me right now has been my realization that the conference was next Friday and not today. I may have never forgiven myself. On Monday (I assume that I'll get the green light), I'll have something bigger about the whole Lebron James free agency decision and probably a little bit of discussion about fandom. I can't wait. I assume that as a result of the Lebron decision a couple of other big moves are going to happen. I assume that Lin will go to the Lakers, Bosh will go to the Rockets, and Wade will go to his nearest bar.

I'm glad that these moves are going to happen, mostly because this has been an awful week for sports radio. I'm glad that things are going to actually happen. It will make bar prep easier now that I'll stop getting messages from ESPN saying that a cupcake shop says that Lebron will go to Clevaland/Miami. I'll be happy not to know that he's having dinner with this person or that person. I'll be glad that sports talk will be less tabloid fodder and more discussion about on the court action.

What are my thoughts? The Cavaliers will be really good. Depending on what Chicago and Indiana do, they are probably the favorite. Miami is unlikely to win a title next year. But you already knew that. The bigger thing that's fascinating to me is the discussion about LeBron going to a "loaded" Cavaliers team and leaving a "loaded" Miami team. Those teams are only as successful as they've been because he's there. Wade/Bosh/Chalmers isn't a championship team. Wiggins/Irving/Thompson isn't one either. (Or Love/Irving/Thompson for that matter). Only as the result of having the best two way player in the game are these squads championship contenders.  


No comments: